The Art Of Music Editing
This course is available immediately. Please contact us at [email protected] with the best service for more detailed advice.
What is The Art of Music Editing?
Music Can Make or Break Your Cut
Take full advantage of the power of music
Simply dropping a cue under your footage isn’t enough – learn how to properly analyze, deconstruct and custom edit your music to perfectly accent every moment
Use these skills on every type of project
- Films, documentaries & shorts
- Ads & promos
- Online content
- Literally anything else that contains music!
70+ 1080p HD Tutorials with Over 14 Hours of Training
- 1080p HD Practice Footage
- 4 hands-on music editing workshops
- 50+ Homework Assignments
- Premium Music & Sound Libraries
Real Hollywood Instructors
Get a unique opportunity to learn exactly how a professional editor works
Decades of Combined Experience
Get access to cutting-edge training from some of the best editors working in the entertainment industry right now.
We’ve taken years of combined editing experience and compiled the best secrets, editing strategies, techniques, workflows and shortcuts.
Check out these exciting features…
70+ Detailed Tutorials in 1080p Video
Over 14 hours of lessons with step-by-step creative music editing training
Professionally Shot HD Footage to Practice Scoring
Develop your skills and build your reel by utilizing high-quality film footage
Training From Real Hollywood Editors
Learn the techniques real Hollywood editors are using on the job every day
Multiple Workshops & Homework Assignments
Follow along as we go through the process of scoring a short film from beginning to end
750+ Element Music Library
Create polished music edits and score along with us using a massive library of cues and sounds
30-Day 100% Money Back Guarantee
If you’re not completely satisfied with your training we’ll refund your purchase
Professionally-shot HD Practice Footage
Work with the best possible footage to get an authentic experience
No matter how good of an editor you might be, having better quality footage to work with will ALWAYS improve your final product.
Since our goal is to take your editing skills as far as possible, we are providing you with only the best quality source footage to edit.
Additional PRO Practice Footage
Download a second short film and cut together a new score with music stems
With The Art of Music Editing PRO, you get an extra 12 lesson workshop with over 3 hours of teaching guiding you through the versatile technique of cutting with music stems.
To complete this project, we’ve provided you with the HD footage from a second short film to score.
Download the footage fast from our ultra high-speed Amazon S3 server.
High-Quality Music & Sound Library
Work with professional quality audio to create the perfect mix
You’ll get access to a library of over 500 music cues from our partners at Alibi Music Library and Position Music – two leading music production companies in the entertainment industry.
Using this huge library of cues, you’ll learn to create professional mixes and discover industry secrets that will change the way you work with audio forever.
Additional PRO Music Stems Library
Over 250+ pieces of instrumental stems to use in your second film scoring workshop
Quick Reference Guides & Homework Assignments
Support for moving through each lesson and workshop
We’ve distilled the skills and techniques you’ll learn in each lesson with our pack of printable PDF Quick Reference Guides.
Additionally, we’ve provided detailed breakdowns for each workshop so you can follow along as much or as little as you want.
Edit in your own software package to practice the skills you’re learning. This course is NOT software-specific.
Lessons are designed to teach you music editing skills you can use on any project
MODULE 1 | WELCOME
Lesson 1: Welcome to The Art of Music Editing
- An overview of the course and a bit of information about what you’re going to learn
- Length 1:13
Lesson 2: How This Course is Organized
- A review of the course structure with the various types of lessons, live editing practice and more
- Length 1:40
MODULE 2 | MUSIC THEORY FOR EDITORS
Lesson 3: The 4 Main Functions of Music in Film
- An in-depth examination of when, where and how music is used in various types of film
- Length 18:19
Lesson 4: Musical Styles, Genres & Meaning
- Discover the many musical genres you’ll be working with and the characteristics of each
- Length 14:05
Lesson 5: Creating Emotional Tones & States
- Explore the dramatic impact music can have on your viewer’s emotions
- Length 23:43
MODULE 3 | MUSIC EDITING FUNDAMENTALS
Lesson 6: How to Find the Right Music
- Learn how to conduct quicker and more effective music searches
- Length 20:11
Lesson 7: How to Analyze & Prep a Music Cue
- The step-by-step process of breaking down a music cue and prepare it for editing
- Length 14:30
Lesson 8: How to Correctly Use Crossfades
- How to correctly and creatively use crossfades in your music
- Length 12:33
Lesson 9: How to Place & Join Music Edits
- Learn the rules for making good music edits and how to fix common problems with bad ones
- Length 14:00
MODULE 4 | KEY MUSIC EDITING TECHNIQUES
Lesson 10: Spotting for Editors: Where Does the Music Go?
- Learn where to add music, where to let your footage play dry and how to figure out the right style and tempo
- Length 16:14
Lesson 11: Accenting Dramatic Moments with Music
- How to manipulate your music to accent the right part of the cut with the right part of the music
- Length 14:21
Lesson 12: Cutting Loops & Repeating Elements
- The focus of this lesson is how to seamlessly lengthen your cue in order to fit your scene
- Length 10:03
Lesson 13: Adding Variety to Your Music
- Now that you’ve mastered loops, we’ll teach you the best ways to keep them from feeling too repetitive
- Length 19:20
Lesson 14: The Importance of Tones & Drones
- Explore how to use these versatile musical elements where understated ambience is needed
- Length 11:16
Lesson 15: How to Use Tones & Drones With Music
- Learn the best ways to weave drones & music together to flow seamlessly through your cut
- Length 10:55
Lesson 16: How to Start & Stop Music with Ringouts & Reverses
- Master these two powerful & fun editing techniques to gain complete control over your music
- Length 15:23
MODULE 5 | TECHNIQUES FOR MIXING & LEVEL SHAPING
Lesson 17: Music Mixing & Level Guidelines
- Study the general best practices & guidelines to begin your mastery of mixing audio
- Length 5:05
Lesson 18: Mixing with Keyframes & Rubber Banding
- How to use keyframes to gain extremely granular control over your music levels
- Length 14:03
Lesson 19: Mixing with Edits & Crossfades
- Learn about the pro’s and con’s of using this approach, known for it’s speed and versatility
- Length 12:42
Lesson 20: Mixing with Live Automation Recording
- Discover the basic techniques and principles of this method rooted in live mixing with faders
- Length 6:55
Lesson 21: Mixing with Auto Ducking
- Watch our breakdown of this method which attempts to create a much faster mix…but there’s a catch
- Length 8:40
Lesson 22: Mixing with EQ & Notching
- Learn an advanced technique for adding EQ to your music to create the best possible mix
MODULE 6 | EDIT LAB: CUT YOUR MUSIC TO FIT ANY SPACE
Lesson 23: Introduction & Project Overview
- This hands-on workshop will teach you one of the most useful music editing skills you could ever learn
- Length 2:38
Lesson 24: Cutting the 2:00 Version – Part 1
- Use all the techniques you’ve learned in this course to shorten a cue from 3:11 to 2:00
- Length 13:40
Lesson 25: Cutting the 2:00 Version – Part 2
- Take a break and come right back, it’s time to finish up that 2:00 cut!
- Length 15:12
Lesson 26: Cutting the 1:00 Version
- Learn how to remove 50% of a cue while still maintaining a natural-sounding intro, build and climax
- Length 7:36
Lesson 27: Cutting the 1:00 Version – Part 2
- Let’s keep going! Now we’ll wrap up the 1:00 version of our cut
- Length 10:35
Lesson 28: Cutting the :30 Version – Part 1
- How to trim this music to 30 seconds using your entire editing toolkit — this is where things get interesting
- Length 12:37
Lesson 29: Cutting the :30 Version – Part 2
- Grab another cup of coffee…we’ll tackle the rest of this :30 cut together
- Length 19:15
Lesson 30: Cutting the :15 Version – Part 1
- 15 seconds is pretty short — learn how to get in and out of a cue in a fast and elegant way
- Length 8:27
Lesson 31: Cutting the :15 Version – Part 2
- You’re not done yet – walk through the end of this :15 cut-down with us
- Length 9:49
Lesson 32: Cutting the :05 Version
- Learn the impossible, cutting a 3:11 cue to only 5 seconds…perfect for online ads and short promos
- Length 6:55
MODULE 7 | THE MUSIC EDITING WORKSHOP
Lesson 33: Project Overview
- An overview of this editing workshop and the project we’ll be cutting
- Length 14:45
Lesson 34: Setting Up the Project
- Follow along as we set up the project and get our materials imported
- Length 3:18
Lesson 35: Creating Your Music Roadmap
- Create a music roadmap for the footage with macro and micro spotting techniques
- Length 15:08
Lesson 36: Gathering & Organizing Your Music
- Let’s find, gather and organize the music we need based on our spotting process
- Length 12:54
Lesson 37: Laying Out A Rough Music Pass – Part 1
- It’s time to edit! Watch as we paint with music to see how things flow
- Length 9:20
Lesson 38: Laying Out a Rough Music Pass – Part 2
- Work together with us to finish up this part of the scene
- Length 11:36
Lesson 39: Going Beyond the Rough Cut
- Now that we’ve got a strong foundation, we’ll be walking you through our next steps…
- Length 4:33
Lesson 40: Scoring the Intro Sequence
- Edit along as we fine-tune the intro of this short sequence
- Length 21:36
Lesson 41: Scoring the City Sequence
- Watch our process as we continue working with music in the city sequence
- Length 3:27
Lesson 42: Scoring the Bar Scene – Part 1
- Learn how to mix score and source music to ebb and flow in a cut
- Length 10:38
Lesson 43: Scoring the Bar Scene – Part 2
- This isn’t the final mix, but we’ll work on fine-tuning that source cue to match the atmosphere
- Length 19:37
Lesson 44: Scoring the Apartment Scene – Part 1
- Watch us try out a bunch of cool tricks to create a unique music bed
- Length 15:28
Lesson 45: Scoring the Apartment Scene – Part 2
- Find out how we shift and manipulate our cues to make a musical theme
- Length 13:53
Lesson 46: Scoring the Finale
- Let’s dive in and see how we can craft the perfect musical climax
- Length 15:33
Lesson 47: Creating the Final Mix
- Mix your work with us as we polish this music bed to perfection
- Length 17:01
Lesson 48: Reviewing the Final Cut
- It’s time to review our work and analyze how effective we were at creating this custom score
- Length 15:21
MODULE 8 | WRAP-UP
Lesson 49: Reviewing Key Lessons Learned
- A quick review of key lessons learned in the course
- Length 1:43
Lesson 50: Your Next Steps
- Suggestions for taking your music editing skills even further
- Length 3:25
PRO MODULE 1 | SCORING A HOLLYWOOD FILM
Lesson 51: Pro Edit Demo – Spotting
- Join us as we prepare to re-score a scene from a Hollywood movie using brand-new music
- Length 6:48
Lesson 52: Pro Edit Demo – Cutting Accents
- See a real-world example of how to align specific parts of the music with key moments in the cut
- Length 23:25
Lesson 53: Pro Edit Demo – Cutting Loops
- Follow along as we fix gaps in the score by using what we know about loops and repeating elements
- Length 13:41
Lesson 54: Pro Edit Demo – Adding Variety
- Watch an in-depth demonstration as we add variety to our music using techniques learned in the course
- Length 5:13
Lesson 55: Pro Edit Demo – Mixing
- View the actual process we use to level-shape a cut and carve out dialogue from music
- Length 8:56
Lesson 56: Edit Demo – Drones
- Follow along step-by-step as we edit tones and drones to amplify the emotion in our Hollywood scene
- Length 8:59
Lesson 57: Edit Demo – Editor vs Composer
- Compare our final cut with the original scene from the film and see how we did!
- Length 6:41
PRO MODULE 2 | WORKSHOP – EDITING WITH STEMS
Lesson 58: Pro Workshop – Project Overview and Introduction to Stems
- In this workshop, we’re challenging ourselves to score a short film from start to finish utilizing only 2 music cues with stems
- Length 11:12
Lesson 59: Pro Workshop – Setting Up & Organizing the Project
- You’ll learn what stems are, why they’re so useful & the best ways of preparing to work with them in your cut
- Length 7:16
Lesson 60: Pro Workshop – Scoring Duncan’s Death Scene, Part 1
- We check out the opening scene, do a little spotting & start laying down some tracks to figure out the tone and tempo
- Length 10:27
Lesson 61: Pro Workshop – Scoring Duncan’s Death Scene, Part 2
- As the scene progresses, we begin to roughly line things up & add a few accents to important moments
- Length 11:35
Lesson 62: Pro Workshop – Scoring Duncan’s Death Scene, Part 3
- Here we work with keyframes & hits to figure out how to transition in & out of the title card
- Length 15:28
Lesson 63: Pro Workshop – Scoring the Love Theme, Part 1
- The film changes pace so we test some interesting new stem options to align with the mood
- Length 17:05
Lesson 64: Pro Workshop – Scoring the Love Theme, Part 2
- Watch as we utilize our handy reverses & a few other editing tricks to finish scoring this section
- Length 10:55
Lesson 65: Pro Workshop – Scoring James’ Tense Moment, Part 1
- We mix & match tones and drones from different stems to echo the theme we created at the beginning of the cut
- Length 11:24
Lesson 66: Pro Workshop – Scoring James’ Tense Moment, Part 2
- Continue to build the tension of this scene by isolating parts of the stems & doing a little keyframing
- Length 10:45
Lesson 67: Pro Workshop – Scoring James’ Tense Moment, Part 3
- At the climax of this moment watch as we start stacking our stems & really dig in to customizing the score
- Length 19:24
Lesson 68: Pro Workshop – Scoring the Finale Sequence, Part 1
- In this scene we work our way around a pivotal conversation by modifying the tempo
- Length 18:32
Lesson 69: Pro Workshop – Scoring the Finale Sequence, Part 2
- Needing a new character theme, we try some time compression to highlight a pivotal moment
- Length 14:58
Lesson 70: Pro Workshop – Scoring the Finale Sequence, Part 3
- Nearing the end of the film we figure out a way to change the emotion & resolve into the credits
- Length 17:12
Lesson 71: Pro Workshop: Reviewing the Final Cut
- Let’s watch the result of all our hard work & see what we’ve accomplished using only two pieces of music!
- Length 11:17
How does The Art of Music Editing compare to other training options?
OPTION 1: FILM SCHOOL
You could try honing your editing skills by enrolling in a full-time film school and hope that the curriculum includes the range of training you want and need…but most don’t.
FACT: only about 8% of film school classes teach any form of editing
Plus, film school is pretty darn expensive.
Look at these film school tuition stats…
To be clear, this is NOT meant to bash film school.
Film schools are great at what they do. They’re meant to give you broad exposure to all aspects of cinematography and they accomplish that very successfully.
But what if you want to specifically improve your editing?
At a film school, you’re usually out of luck.
Most film schools are not designed to train editors.
You might be lucky to get 2 or 3 classes dedicated to editing, along with a bit of lab time cutting together a final project.
But their focus is not on really teaching the craft of editing. It can’t be – there just isn’t enough time!
OPTION 2: ONLINE TRAINING WITH FILM EDITING PRO
If you choose to enroll in a course with Film Editing Pro, you can feel confident that the training is specifically designed to do three things:
- Give you hands-on, real-world editing skills you can apply right away
- Share knowledge sourced from full-time professional editors
- Not empty your wallet with 10 years of student loans
How the other options stack up against The Art of Music Editing
Our mission is to deliver step-by-step instruction, led by expert tutors, with affordable pricing – AND – the flexibility and convenience to learn at your own pace on your own time.
The BIG benefits of learning online…
- No set schedule – learn at your own pace.
- 24/7 access to instructors. Our team is always available to help you.
- Use any editing software you like to complete the course.
- No need to travel. Especially valuable if you live in another country or remote location.
- Learn in your pajamas! Enjoy the comfort of working from home or anywhere you like.
- Beginner to advanced training – everything you could ever want to learn about music.
- Lower cost and no student loans!
Making a film doesn’t end when the shoot wraps
So, you spent tons of money on the latest film gear and got some beautiful footage…but what’s next? Knowing how to edit that footage is just as important as the best cameras, lenses, lighting and stabilizers.
Learning how to polish and perfect your story after the cameras stop rolling is critical, and the investment is equally important.
How The Art of Music Editing Compares to Some Popular Filmmaking Equipment
Here’s just a sample of what you’ll learn in “The Art of Music Editing”…
- The four essential functions of music that will guide you in knowing where, when, and how to use it.
- Discover 18 musical moods and genres and how to leverage them for maximum emotional impact.
- How to conduct quicker and more effective music searches with proven methods used by elite editors.
- A step-by-step system for breaking down a music cue to prepare it for editing.
- 3 critical but straightforward rules for making good music edits and avoiding bad ones.
- Spot music by learning where to add it, when to add it and when to leave your footage dry.
- Make your projects sing by learning how to accent dramatic moments with music.
- Learn how to smoothly cut loops and repeat elements and never have a music cue be too short again.
- Conquer boring cuts by discovering ways to add variety and texture to any music cue.
- Discover the hidden power of tones and drones and learn the best ways to weave them seamlessly into your music.
- 4 Hollywood tricks for starting and stopping your music with ringouts and reverses.
- Learn mixing best practices and bulletproof techniques for real-world editing scenarios.
- Deep dives into advanced mixing techniques like rubber banding, crossfades, live automation, and auto ducking.
- Shortcuts and productivity hacks for maximizing mixing speed for any style of editing.
- The power-user technique of working with EQ to lend additional muscle to your mixes.
- How to cut music to fit any space…from two minutes long to five seconds short.
- How to retain natural-sounding intros, builds, and outros in your custom-edited music cues.
- Hands-on music editing workshops where you’ll set up, organize, and gather your own music and score a variety of scenes.
- In-depth demonstration of re-scoring a scene from a Hollywood movie using brand new music.
- Efficient strategies to level shape music while carving out dialogue.
- The magic of editing with music stems to create dramatic progressions in your cue.
- In-depth breakdowns of the psychology and emotions that make music in your pieces so powerful.
- Proven long-range game plans for taking your music editing skills further even after the course ends.
- Discover quick methods to create everything from bold musical flourishes to understated ambiance in your score..
More Courses: EVERYTHING ELSE
Outstading Courses: The Art Of Music Editing
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 27
- Assessments Yes